Friday, January 28, 2022

Stone Crab: Smoked, Buttered, Sauced and Savored

Smoking seafood makes you anxious? I get it. Seafood is easily overcooked and it tastes horrible.


Settle your fears and journey with me to success. 


Stone crab claws - a zillion chefs, cooks and hungry folk have posted recipes declaring these delicate claws are delicious after just a short boil. Agreed! But we seek more, we seek awesome. Head up, chest out, we are going to smoke them. 


In a hurry? Bummer, but ok, jump to the Recipe Card


Attitude is everything when cooking. When I smoke crab my attitude is Crack’em nice, Smoke’em heavy, and Bath’em lovely. 


Crack’em nice - Gently crack each claw and knuckle (leg portion at claw base). Do not smash and destroy, this is not anger management therapy. Crack just enough to allow smoke to kiss that sweet meat. Added bonus, little need to crack further when eating. 



Smoke’em heavy - Our smokers highest smoke setting (not temperature) must smother our claws, quickly infusing our chosen smokey flavor and kicking up the crabs aromatic allure. It takes me 10 minutes to enjoy a bottle of beer. Our claws will be smoked before the bottle is empty. 

Bath’em lovely - you may say this step is optional, for me it is mandatory. Those smokey claws won’t be done until a quick seasoned butter bath completes their transformation to awesome. Another bottle of beer gone, claws are done. Old bay is what I season my butter with. At times, I add lemon pepper too. A friend suggested using cinnamon, I mean ex-friend.  


So you want your claws dressed in more than just butter. Ok, dish up your favorite dipping sauce. We dunked our claws in a savory mustard sauce my wife makes.  



Tell me now, smoking seafood doesn’t really sound so scary, does it? Trust me, it is not!

Lean in to your fear, give it a try, and let me know if I steered you towards awesome. 


Do you have a different dipping sauce that makes your claws awesome? Please tell me about it. 


You need help with your golf car tune up? Nope, I am not your guy. I will tell you crab claws are the perfect meal after a tune up. It’s true, remember I said trust me! 


#seafood #smokedseafood #crab #stonecrab #oldbay #butter #lemonpepper #recipe #seafoodrecipe #smokerrecipe #pelletsmoker #campchef #awesome

No comments:

Post a Comment